17th August 2026
I enjoyed two modest wins this afternoon: one of £19, and another of £18:17. But given this was the return on a total stake outlay of £50 for the day, I could scarcely claim this visit to Catterick to be a financially fruitful one.
But, for reasons which I cannot quite outline, I enjoyed this Day at The Races probably as much as I have even enjoyed one - apart, of course, from my Plumpton £210 win day.
The meeting was billed as Family Sports Day but, to be fair, all the kiddies had (thankfully) been corralled into a separate area in the centre of the racing track, away from the grown-ups.
I began the day with one of my ambitious outsider choices - in this case 12/1 shot Spanish Hustle, for no other reason than the horse was owned by a Scottish outfit: Jim Goldie Stables. But the horse ran exactly to form, and came in fifth.
 |
| The main entrance |
 |
All the egg-and-spoon races and the bouncy castle stuff took place across the other side of the race track. |
 |
| The Parade Ring |
 |
| Brodie Hampson rode Shabaz in Race 1. |
 |
| Here is Spanish Hustle - also Ruth Carr, whose Star Start ran in the race. |
 |
Spanish Hustle's jockey Kayleigh Williams discusses tactics with the owner and/or trainer (I presume). |
 |
| Irish horse Mariner was not a happy bunny before the race. |
 |
| Jamie Neild on Mariner |
 |
| Spanish Hustle was well down the field first time around the circuit... |
...eventually finishing in fifth, the race being won by Stellarmasterpiece ridden by Becky Smith.
My next bet was a Tote EachWay Treble, me going for Aura Of Melania, Edmond Halley and Night Shining in Races 2, 3 & 4 respectively. All were either first or second favourite and, although none won their race, all were placed returning me £18:17 for my £20 bet.
 |
| Oisin Orr on Edmond Halley, just before Race Three |
 |
| This is the chasing pack, as Shane Gray on Quercus is well in front, and out of picture. |
 |
| Shane Gray on Quercus won at 12/1 |
 |
| Shane |
 |
| The Race 4 odds. |
 |
Baker & Clarke had an animated cartoon on their stand, wherein the lad jumped onto the lassie's shoulders. I rather doubt that would be happening in real life. |
 |
| Here we have Billy Garritty on Star Noir winning Race 4... |
 |
| ...with my choice Night Shining 9 (in maroon) coming in second, to fulfil my treble. |
In Race Five, I shoved £10 Each Way (£20 in total) on Canaria Queen. Not because it was fancied - it started at 13/2 - but solely because, it was trained by Tim Easterby who, according to the race card, was both the Leading Course Trainer and the Trainer-in-Form.
 |
| Canaria Queen giving me the eye. |
 |
| Duran Fentiman on Canaria Queen |
 |
| Canaria Queen finishing second to Betweenthesticks. |
 |
| Winning jockey James Sullivan. |
 |
| I took this to be one of the owners of Betweenthesticks being presented with the winners' trophy. |
And whilst I enjoyed the thrill of watching the horse come in second in a field of eleven, my joy was tempered just a touch by picking up only £19 from my £20 outlay.
Ah well.
Leaving the ground, I was surprised to discover the stables were actually across the main road, and that temporary traffic lights had been set up to stop the traffic to allow the horses to cross before and after each race.
Before making my way to the racecourse, I had spent a couple of hours or so exploring nearby Scorton Lakes. The area had been a former RAF base, then a gravel quarry before being repurposed as a nature reserve.
ddddd
No comments:
Post a Comment