Sunday 17 April 2022

The Envirovent Stadium


Harrogate Town 1-4 Swindon Town

15th April 2022

Fifteen points separated these two clubs before today, but anyone witnessing his match could easily have be been persuaded that the gap was closer to fifty, given the one-sidedness of this encounter.  For this truly was an abject display by the home side.  

That Harrogate Town's season was to all intents and purpose over (i.e. in no real danger of relegation, nor any likelihood of making the play-offs) may have accounted in part for their apparent lethargy.  But this showing, really was rather shameful.  Swindon, by contrast, who very much had a play-off spot in their sights, were superior to their opponents in pretty much every area.     

Indeed, the only home players whom I felt emerged from this afternoon with any sort of credit were the tireless Luke Armstrong, and second-half sub Simon Power who at least looked both interested in proceedings, and had the ability to influence them.

Which, I suppose Power did, to a limited extent, it being his thumping shot which was parried out to the feet of Luke ARMSTRONG for Harrogate's late consolation.

But by that time, of course, Swindon were already four goals to the good and in cruise control.  The impressive Mandela Egbo had crossed for the former Barcelona youth player Louie BARRY to head home after 25 minutes.  The same pairing combining just five minutes later to provide BARRY with a tap in for his second.

The visitors were three up six minutes after the break, Josh DAVISON taking advantage of the unfortunate Ryan Fallowfield crumpling in heap as his legs gave way beneath him.  DAVISON then made it four on 63 minutes, before teammate Ellis Iandolo bounced one off and over the Harrogate crossbar.

Add to this the fact Jack Payne had struck a post earlier in the match, and it is clear this really could have been a quite severe bashing for the home lot.

The Envirovent Stadium, Harrogate Town







This looked to me to be a bit of a colour clash.




Home defender Nathan Sheron clears a cross...

...but seconds later, the ball is crossed back in...

...for Louie Barry to open the scoring. 

One of the many small structures around the ground.  This one, rather unimaginatively,
called the Envirovent Stand is used to seat visiting supporters.

Harrogate v Swindon - April 2022

Envirovent Stadium - Harrogate Town 

Envirovent Stadium - Harrogate Town

AON Terracing.


Harrogate defender Ryan Fallowfield keeled over during a Swindon attack.
The visitors just charged on past him, and scored their third.
Only Mandela Egbo looks remotely concerned for the poor chap.
An update from the club states: 
"We think he's taken a muscle off the bone in the groin area."
Jeez!

Harrogate's Will Smith and Swindon's captain Dion Conroy enjoy a fair old tussle. 

Envirovent Stadium - Harrogate Town

Joe Wollacott - Swindon Town

Harrogate v Swindon - April 2022

Envirovent Stadium - Harrogate Town

Envirovent Stadium - Harrogate Town


Wetherby Road (or The Environvent Stadium, as it is presently known) has been the home of Harrogate Town since 1920.  It does have the look of a ground which has evolved slowly over the decades as the club has progressed, with all manner of small disparate structures scattered around the place.  But I enjoyed it, particularly as I was free to wander around any of the home terracing areas - indeed, am sure I could have even taken up one of the empty stand seats had I wished.

Which was odd, given the hoops I had been compelled to jump through in the first place, to be allowed to attend this far from sold out event.

Accessing the club's website on the morning of the match, I learned online ticket sales had been halted at midnight the previous day.  Ah well.  No matter.  I shall just toddle along to the ticket office at the ground.  There to be met by an affable lad who, in all fairness appeared a touch embarrassed, to inform me he was "not able to sell me a ticket after 11AM"  Which, indeed, it was.

I was subsequently directed to the club shop back in the town centre, where I was asked all manner of polite yet gently probing questions about where I came from, why I was in Harrogate, and whether I was staying overnight in the town.  I had to hand over my driver's licence to have it copied.

And the fact I was already on the club's database (I had tentatively looked to buy tickets for a match earlier in the season), just seemed to jack up the counter girl's paranoia quotient further.  I could sense some covert eye-contact communication going on between her and (I assumed) her supervisor, before the latter shrugged: "Edinburgh?  He should be OK".

I do appreciate clubs have a duty to attempt to keep opposing fans apart but, as I was being (almost grudgingly) handed my ticket, I was reminded of something Sir Tam Cowan once said: "We are chasing folk away fae the fitba'"


There are only two entrances to The Envirovent Stadium, both on Wetherby Road.
This is the entrance for visiting supporters.

...and this for home support.

Envirovent Stadium - Harrogate Town

Adjacent to the Envirovent Stadium is, purely coincidentally I am sure, the Harrogate
Sexual Health Centre. 
It is built on the site of what was Heatherdene Convalescent Home. 

I rather like the fact the original entrance gates have been retained....or, at least, not yet demolished.

A rear view of the Black Sheep Stand.

Envirovent Stadium - Harrogate Town


And to finish with....a few pix from the nearby Knaresborough Castle:


Knaresborough Castle






Knaresborough Viaduct


1 comment:

  1. Amazing looking viaduct - shame about the stadium!

    ReplyDelete