Monday 17 October 2022

Plymouth Argyle


Plymouth Argyle 2-1 Ipswich Town

25th September 2022

I have nothing against Plymouth Argyle, I have to stress, nor the fine town itself.  But I was really, really pleased to have ticked this one off.  For as my 92 meandered closer and closer to it's conclusion, and the outstanding grounds dropped into single figures Home Park, Plymouth stuck out, geographically speaking, like the proverbial sore feckin' thumb.  It is the English League ground furthest from my home, at 532 miles.  

I could have perhaps taken a flight to Exeter and used public transport - or even travelled by rail, had I wished to take out a second mortgage.  But I wanted to do other stuff in Devon - I have piers to visit, you know - so an epic car journey was my mode of choice.

Also, a (not inconsiderable) detour via South London allowed me to take in Sutton United's Gander Green Lane ground, on the Saturday.

And I really could not have chosen a more mouth-watering encounter for my trip, as the visitors to second place Plymouth Argyle this afternoon were unbeaten league leaders Ipswich Town.

And what brilliant entertainment, these two sides served up.

The first-half I felt belonged to Ipswich - they appeared to be in control for much of the time, even if they did require a generous slice of good fortune to open the lead in the 39th minute.  Freddie LADAPO, who had been a Plymouth top scorer a few seasons back, latched onto a long ball, his weak-looking shot spinning off covering defender Dan Scarr and looping into the net. 

Proceedings were more even following the break, but I did feel that Ipswich would probably be able to see the match out.  But, then a brace of quality hits within the space of six minutes for the hosts, turned the score around.

On another day, I am sure another referee may have blown for a foul when Ipswich's Conor Chaplin was bundled to the ground, just before Bali MUMBA's 70th minute equaliser.  Although, to be fair, Chaplin did appear to go to ground rather easily.  But.....seen 'em given, as they say.

No dubiety about Argyle's winner five minutes later, when visiting defender George Edmundson's sloppy pass was mercilessly punished by Morgan WHITTAKER's sweet left-foot strike.

And we still were treated to a little vignette in the closing moments, when a header from Ipswich 'keeper Christian Walton (thrown up front for a last minute corner) was tipped onto the crossbar by a full-stretch Michael Cooper.  Phew!

My scribbled notes from the match refer to numerous fine saves made by both 'keepers - few of which appear to have found their way onto either Sky Sports nor Argyle's own YouTube channels.  Which I found odd, given this match could easily have been a 4-4 job had there been a pair of lesser quality performers between the sticks.

A word on the attendance: 15, 480 for a third tier match.  Impressive.

Home Park, Plymouth Argyle










The Mayflower Stand

This banner was in commemoration of former manager Dave Smith,
who had died a few days earlier.



I have to admit to never having heard of Ákos Buzsáky before seeing this mural.
I assume the detail suggests he scored 9 times in 105 appearances for the club
between 2005 and 2007.  Whether he played for Hungarian national team
during his time at Home Park, I am less sure of.







Plymouth Argyle v Ipswich Town (Sept 2022)

I am sure I saw a pic somewhere once where there was what looked like a planted garden behind one of the goals at Home Park.  But I can find no trace of such a thing on the internet, so wonder if I am confusing another ground.
Nevertheless, seeing green stuff (other than the pitch) growing at a football stadium always gladdens my heart.

Plymouth Argyle v Ipswich Town (Sept 2022)


I kept looking up, and misreading this advertising board as "Scrotum".
Cannot imagine anyone having the balls to call their company that, though.

This cutback took place at the end of a long mazy run by the impressive
Bali Mumba.  All he got for his efforts here was a corner kick for his side.


Love the way ref Scott Oldham and Christian Walton are
casually ignoring the foetal-positioned Janoi Donacien.
They both probably know he is milking it
.

Another former players mural.
Tommy Tynan's numbers really are rather impressive.

Leif Davis - Ipswich Town

Happy Argyle Bunnies, after their side's equaliser.

Plymouth Argyle v Ipswich Town (Sept 2022)

Plymouth Argyle v Ipswich Town (Sept 2022)

Plymouth sub Sam Cosgrove wins a header.
Still dining out on those two good seasons at Pitoddrie.




Time up.


On the way back North, I took a wee detour to see The Cerne Giant.  And he certainly is a big lad.





No comments:

Post a Comment