Tuesday 27 August 2019

Fratton Park


Portsmouth 3-3 Coventry 

20th August 2019

I had arrived in Portsmouth itself on the Monday, so had a whole day in the town to poke around before the match on Tuesday evening.  And much enjoyable poking did occur (sightseeing-wise I mean, of course).

I gawped at all those artefacts brought up with the Mary Rose, viewed the Solent from the top of the Emirates Spinnaker Tower and, of course, did my eccentric pleasure pier/ice cream thing.

So it was quite close to kick-off when I pitched up at the Fratton Park ticket office, and blithely requested a single adult ticket for the South Stand.  I was informed apologetically that only restricted view tickets were available.  “OK”, I thought “I will have to forego paying my respects to Archibald Leitch”, and asked instead for a ticket for any of the other stands.

No”, the chap patiently explained “we only have South Stand restricted view tickets left at all.  The rest of the ground is sold out”.  I think my jaw must have gaped: a 20,000 plus seater stadium selling out for a midweek third tier league match!  Where else in the world would this happen?

In the event, the personable young lad managed to find what he assured me was the last unobstructed view seat in the stadium.  I just mumbled “Impressive”, and took my ticket.

The Frogmore Road approach to Fratton Park.

The mock Tudor facade is all that remains of the original South Stand.



Fratton Park has already lost one of its iconic floodlight pylons,
with the remainder due to follow soon, I imagine.

This impressively decorated lane runs behind the east stand, or Milton End (as was).

Facade to the North Stand.



Not sure what has happened to this chap's eyes.
But I cannot but help think of Southampton fans up to no good.

Now this was just silly, if not downright dangerous.
The very definition of the word "bottleneck".


Well, I am sure, not a single home supporter would agree with me, but what I got for my money was, I think, as entertainingly bonkers a match as have seen for many years.

For about an hour, all went swimmingly for Pompey.  They had recovered from conceding an early (and to my eyes, offside) goal within 3 minutes, to lead 2-1 at the break.  Before the hour mark was reached, a defensive howler by visiting defender Kyle McFadzean had allowed Gareth Evans to make it 3-1 before, moments later, Coventry full-back Fankaty Dabo was shown a second yellow card.

3-1 up against ten men.  What could possibly go wrong?

Portsmouth FC, before match with Coventry City (August 2019)

Coventry No 26 Gareth Evans gets the business underway.

Ross McCrorie - Portsmouth FC

Craig McGillvray - Portsmouth FC

Portsmouth v Coventry (Aug 2019)

Panorama of Fratton Park.

 Marcus Harness & Liam Kelly (6)

Panorama of Fratton Park.

The Fratton End.

Panorama of Fratton Park.

Panorama of Fratton Park.

Michael Rose - Coventry City.

Matt Godden's 75th minute penalty brought the score to 3-2

I have often wondered if referees are ever swayed
by the numbers of players claiming it is "Our ball!"

Four minutes from time and it is 3-3.

Portsmouth v Coventry (Aug 2019)
 
Time up

Inside the South Stand.
I was going to take more pics, but was huckled out by
a  grumpy steward clearly wanting home to his bed.


Well, with 15 minutes remaining, the silliness started as Portsmouth midfielder Ben Close needlessly clattered into Liam Kelly in the box, with Matt Godden subsequently doing the needful from the spot to bring the score to 3-2.

But then Coventry were reduced to nine men, losing sub Gervane Kastaneer to another pair of yellows.  Clearly having been instructed by his manager to rummel up the Pompey midfield the big lad, on an adrenalin high, had spent his ten minutes on the pitch clattering into anything which came near him.  But one sliding challenge on homester Paul Downing proved a step too far for ref Kevin Johnson, and the Curaçao internationalist was sent packing.

3-2 up against nine men, and Pompey really should have had enough in the tank to see the match out.  But home manager Kenny Jacket clearly underwent something of a crisis of confidence in his players' ability to do so.  For he promptly removed his captain Gareth Evans, who I felt had enjoyed a fine match in the Pompey midfield, and replaced him with a central defender.  And a solid looking 4-3-3, became a decidedly fragile 5-2-3, 5-3-2 or something.  

And despite the preponderance of centre-halves in the home defence box, none were able to effectively deal with a long throw from the Coventry right, which landed at the feet of Michael Rose, who gleefully stroked in an unlikely equaliser.  Jackett immediately hoiked off one of his collection of centre-backs, replacing him with forward Brett Pittman, but the damage had already been done.

I believe there must be Pompey fans who are still shaking their heads wondering how their team messed up and, more pertinently, trying to work out what the heck had been going through Kenny Jackett's mind.


Coffee flavoured ice-cream on Clarence Pier... 

...after mocca ripple on Southsea Pier.



No comments:

Post a Comment