Tuesday 18 October 2022

Riverside Park


Jed-Forest 51-20 Heriots Blues

8th October 2022

I pitched up pretty late to this particular party, this visit being a last minute detour on my way south to see Uriah Heep at Newcastle (any Heepsters are directed to my concert blog).

Seeking out the scoreboard when I finally arrived, I was slightly surprised to note Heriots leading 15-6, for I knew the Blues (the big boys play in the Super 6) had yet to win a match this season.  Not that Jed-Forest had been pulling up many trees recently (pun intended).

That being said, moments after I took up a spot behind one of the goals I (sorta) recorded Jeds' Jye McGough squeeze over for a try.  Findlay Scott's subsequent conversion to close the gap to two points was the final kick of the first half.

All set up for an excitingly close second period, I smugly thought to myself; particularly so when Heriots bounded out the second-half blocks to swiftly extend their lead through Dominic Martin.

But then, something odd happened.

Either the home lads found a hitherto hidden fourth (and fifth) gear, or the Heriots chaps just lost interest.  For what we witnessed for the remainder of the match was an inexorable procession in the direction of the Heriot's line, as Jed ran in five tries - all of which were converted by the faultless Scott.

Rarely have I seen a team so bedraggled and run-ragged as the poor Heriots players were at time up.


I loved the post-match comments made by Heriot's coach Phil Smith on The Offside Line website:

"...to turn round and deliver a 40-minute performance like that, I would rather they walked home".

Great stuff!!  😊


Ye cannae miss Riverside Park if ye travel doon the A68

I am sure the locals knew what this mean, but being requested
to park on a railway just didn't seem sound advice to me.

Maybe this a former railway line, they are referring to?

Quite how the price list from the Wee Kitchen ended up discarded in the undergrowth
is another Jedburgh mystery I shall probably never have solved.

As it sez.....

Panorama of Riverside Park, Jed-Forest RFC



Inside the dinky wee stand opposite the main stand.


I liked the structure, but it really could do with a touch of TLC.





Behind the main stand a rather intimidating, and frankly unstable, looking cliff face loomed.
But it is actually on the other side of the Jed Water.

Finlay Scott pops over another conversion.
He scored 21 of his side's points.

Heriots Craig Robertson




This cool bridge crosses the Jed Water behind the main stand.







The scoreboard rarely fibs.

Time up.



No comments:

Post a Comment