Saturday 24 July 2021

Bathgate Thistle in the East of Scotland League


In 2021, after an 83-year unbroken spell of competing in Scottish Junior Football, Bathgate Thistle made the switch to the Senior grade: The East of Scotland League, to be precise.

I initially thought the would ford me the opportunity to visit a raft of grounds I had not previously attended.  But then noted, Bathgate had been placed in the ominously titled Conference X, along with pretty much all those former West Lothian clubs who had clung to the juniors to the bitter end.

Never mind - some of these grounds I had not seen in some time.  So here goes.

 
Station Park, Livingston

Livingstone United 4-1 Bathgate Thistle

20th July 2021

Livingston United's Station Park was actually the first away ground I had seen Bathgate Thistle play at - on the opening day of the 1983/84 season.  If memory serves, I arrived a couple of minutes late and so missed the only goal in a 1-0 defeat.

I later saw a couple of Bathgate players score hat-tricks at the ground, I recall.  One of my favourite players to have turned out for the club, Colin Fowler scored all three in 3-1 League win during the 1984/85 season.  Whilst I also witnessed Willie Hill score a first-half hat-trick in an evening Sectional League Cup tie two seasons later.  Unfortunately, a second-half collapse saw Bathgate end up losing that one 4-3.

My other most memorable Station Park moment occurred rather more recently, maybe around fifteen years or so ago.  Another sectional League Cup match (I think), this one played in a gale-force wind.  At one point Alan Lawrence had a go from just outside the Livingston box.  He sliced his shot somewhat, the ball flew up into the air, was caught by the wind and landed back in the Bathgate half, perhaps some some thirty metres behind the striker.  

Which really takes some doing, when you think about it.


Station Park - Livingston United

George (or Geordie) Dryburgh was an official of the club of long standing.
I remember him from my time as Bathgate secretary as a bluff,
likeable, big chap who didn't suffer fools gladly.

Station Park - Livingston United

Livingston United v Bathgate Thistle - July 2021



I am guessing, by the colours, these resided at Fir Park, Motherwell, at some point in the past.




I freely acknowledge I am no expert on half-time team talks.
But I would have thought if 50% of your message consists of the words "fuck" or "fuckin'",
then you run the risk of your message being somewhat diluted.
 

The board wi' the raffle numbers goin' roond still causes a flutter of excitement.


Some video footage of the ground from 1997:  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXC5EUb4B1k


No comments:

Post a Comment